You may viewing an older version of this page. Click here to view the latest version

Do I qualify?

In order to qualify for an Employment Gold Card your skills must be related to one of eight areas: Science and Technology, Economics, Education, Culture and Art, Sport, Finance, Law and Architecture. You must select which single ministry is most relevant, and in most cases also select a specific entry in the list of that qualifications in that particular area for your application. Use the Gold Card Qualification Check to find the relevant choices for you.

Do I need to have a high salary to apply for a Gold Card?

No. Some industries have a category where applicants with a salary greater than NT$160,000 qualify. However, this is only one category. To date, none of the categories other than the dedicated salary category have financial requirements. If you have skills, please consider applying regardless of salary!

I currently live in Taiwan, can I apply for the Gold Card?

Yes. You can apply from anywhere, even within Taiwan. If you have an ARC, you can still apply, the Gold Card will replace you ARC. If you have a tourist visa, the Gold Card will replace your tourist visa.

I’m a digital nomad / remote worker, is this card suitable for me? Can I be self-employed?

Yes, this card is perfect for you, since it contains an open work permit that allows you to work for any employer. However, if you don’t have a Taiwanese employer please see the answer to: I’m a freelancer/I don’t have an employer, how do I register with the NHI?.

Is there a “general” application category or must I select a specific industry?

There is no “general” application category. You must select a single ministry to assess your skills. Use the Gold Card Qualification Check to find suggestions.

Does my professional services/sole proprietor/dividend income count towards the salary requirement for Gold Card application?

Generally not, but it depends. The document requirements to prove an Article 1 (“salary”) application all talk about “…verifying salary or income tax payment related to employment…”. The most commonly accepted documents appear to be withholding tax statements from employers and income tax returns from a tax authority. Bank statements are generally not sufficient. If you don’t have salary-based compensation for your employment, we recommend calling ahead. You may be able to make an argument if your freelance income looks a lot like salary (eg from the USA: “7 Nonemployee Compensation” on a 1099-MISC from before 2020 or a 1099-NEC form after 2020).

Is there an age restriction?

Not really. However it is expected that gold card holders will have at least five years of work experience.

Last Updated: June 10, 2024